Little Drummer Boy

Nowadays it is a duty for a poor peasant to be a soldier. He is exiled from his house, the roof of which smokes in the silence of night; from the fat prairies where the oxen graze; from the fields and the paternal woods. He is taught how to kill men; he is threatened, insulted, put in prison and told that it is an honor; and, if he does not care for that sort of honor, he is shot. He obeys because he is terrorized, and is of all domestic animals the gentlest and most docile. We are warlike, and we are citizens. Another reason to be proud, this being a citizen! For the poor it consists in sustaining and preserving the wealthy in their power and their laziness. The poor must work for this, in presence of the majestic quality of the law which prohibits the wealthy as well as the poor from sleeping under the bridges, from begging in the streets, and from stealing bread.

Anatole France

9 Responses to “Little Drummer Boy”

1. 1 sally December 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

YOU made me yearn for WEST WING again… and cry for what is the reality of the now… SAD!

• 2 bluenred December 6, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I tried re-watching a couple episodes of that show the other night, and it doesn’t work anymore. That world is gone. The Whiter House today is staffed with people more out of Der Untergang, than The West Wing.

2. 3 sally December 7, 2017 at 11:54 am

oh, yes, I have tried a few old various shows. Wolfe says I can’t go home again –and he is probably right, Still, while I don’t want to live in the past, I have wondrous memories of times I once lived in — and people I once loved and treasured and still love and treasure… So There! Namaste…

• 4 bluenred December 7, 2017 at 1:55 pm

The problem with The West Wing is that Mongo has infected it. Older stuff that is not riven with the Mongo virus still works. Like, the other night I saw for the first time an old 1945 film, Christmas in Connecticut, and it was perfectly fine. ; )

3. 5 sally December 7, 2017 at 3:26 pm

oh, oh — so I checked and TiVo-ed “Xmas in Connecticut!” – it’s on sometime next week –woo-hoo! It’s Barbara and Dennis, but most of all I have missed Sidney ( Maltese & Beat the Devil) very much. I will think of you as I watch it!

• 6 bluenred December 7, 2017 at 3:38 pm

There is also the Hungarian bartender from Casablanca: this time he’s a chef. Barbara has made a fine career for herself as a magazine writer regularly reporting her life as a wonderful cook and homemaker living with her husband and child on an expansive Connecticut farm. There comes a Problem when she is required to host there her boss (Greenstreet) and a recovering WWII soldier for Christmas: because actually she lives in a New York apartment, can’t cook, knows nothing about farming, and has no husband or child. So she has to Pretend. Much madcapping ensues. A lot of the film is of the many-goofballs-in-a-house genre, like Arsenic and Old Lace, Harvey, or The Man Who Came To Dinner.

4. 7 sally December 7, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Sounds good to me. — I’ll watch for the bartender. I like ARSENIC and HARVEY and THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. Am I living in the past yet once again — Though speaking of a recent “cooking shows” (not on the food network) I did enjoy JULIE & JULIA …

• 8 bluenred December 7, 2017 at 4:49 pm

I don’t think liking those movies means one is living in the past. I like them, and I don’t think I was born yet when they were made. I like Michelangelo too, and I don’t think that means I’m out of a time tunnel to the 15th Century.

• 9 bluenred December 7, 2017 at 5:16 pm

There is a contemporary many-goofballs-in-a house film, It’s A Disaster, that is kind of fun. Four couples get together for their usual Sunday couples-brunch in a house somewhere in LA. They are all absorbed in their very important but utterly trivial concerns; then all their tubes go out; eventually they learn there has been a VX attack on the downtown and the gas is slowly coming their way. They don’t really change. Here is a clip: