Conscience Of Congress Refuses To Countenance Mongo

On September 14, 2001, Barbara Lee was the only member of Congress to oppose George II’s Authorization for Use of Military Force, which inaugurated the War on Terra.

Today, Lee told Mongo to go to Hell.

Inaugurations are celebratory events, a time to welcome the peaceful transition of power and honor the new administration. On January 20th, I will not be celebrating or honoring an incoming president who rode racism, sexism, xenophobia and bigotry to the White House.

Donald Trump ran one of the most divisive and prejudiced campaigns in modern history. He began his campaign by photo-newsinsulting Mexican immigrants, pledging to build a wall between the United States and Mexico and then spent a year and a half denigrating communities of color and normalizing bigotry. He called women ‘pigs’, stoked Islamophobia, and attacked a Gold Star family. He mocked a disabled reporter and appealed to people’s worst instincts. I cannot in good conscience attend an inauguration that would celebrate this divisive approach to governance.

After the election, many hoped the president-elect would turn toward unifying our country. Instead he has shown us that he will utilize the same tools of division he employed on the campaign trail as our nation’s Commander-in-Chief. We need look no further than the team he is assembling to find signals that the era of Trump will be one of chaos and devastation for our communities.

The president-elect has named Steve Bannon, a white nationalist as his chief strategist. He has nominated Senator Jeff Sessions to the office of Attorney General, despite his long career of opposition to civil and human rights. And in perhaps the most damning sign of the chaos to come, the president-elect has expedited the process to repeal the Affordable Care Act and make America sick again.

To make matters worse, after the intelligence community reported Russian interference in our election, Donald Trump frequently and forcefully defended Vladimir Putin. He insulted senior intelligence officials in order to preserve his reputation and disguise the truth. The American people will never forget that when a foreign government violated our democracy, Donald Trump chose the interests of another nation over our own.

Donald Trump has proven that his administration will normalize the most extreme fringes of the Republican Party. On Inauguration Day, I will not be celebrating. I will be organizing and preparing for resistance.

—Congressmember Barbara Lee

7 Responses to “Conscience Of Congress Refuses To Countenance Mongo”

1. 1 bluenred January 14, 2017 at 10:21 am

More real humans, who refuse to sanctify the shitgibbon:

—Representative Luis Gutiérrez: “I cannot go to the inauguration of a man who’s going to appoint people to the Supreme Court and turn back the clock on women and turn back the clock on immigrants and the safety and freedom that we fought for them.”

—Representative Katherine Clark: “I had hoped the shitgibbon would use the transition period and his appointments to change course and fulfill his promise to be a President for all Americans; however, this has not been the case. After discussions with hundreds of my constituents, I do not feel that I can contribute to the normalization of the shitgibbon’s divisive rhetoric by participating in the Inauguration.”

—Representative Earl Blumenauer: “There is unprecedented concern by my constituents about the many threats posed by a Mongo administration seeking to implement The Monster’s policies on health, environment, nuclear weapons, and immigration, to name but a few. I will forgo the inauguration, spending the day instead in my district talking with Oregonians to hear their priorities, try to answer their questions, and prepare for the coming assault on the values and programs we hold dear. It is hard to think of a better use of my time on January 20th.”

—Representative Raúl Grijalva: “My absence is not motivated by disrespect for the office or motivated by disrespect for the government that we have in this great democracy. But as an individual act, yes, of defiance, at the disrespect shown to millions and millions of Americans by this incoming administration and by the actions we are taking in this Congress.”

—Representative Jared Huffman: “There is nothing ordinary about this inauguration or the man that will be sworn-in as our next President. I do accept the election results and support the peaceful transfer of power, but it is abundantly clear to me that with Twitler as our President, the United States is entering a dark and very dangerous political chapter. I will do everything I can to limit the damage and the duration of this chapter, and I believe we can get through it. But I will not sit passively and politely applaud as it begins.”

—Representative Nydia Velazquez: “I will not be attending inauguration of Mongo but WILL participate in the Women’s March on January 21st.”

—Representative John Lewis: “You cannot be at home with something that you feel that is wrong, is not right.”

—Representative Mark Takano: “I stand with John Lewis and I will not be attending the inauguration.”

2. 2 bluenred January 14, 2017 at 10:49 am

Additional real humans, who will not tarry with Twitler:

—Representative Mark DeSaulnier: “It is with a heavy heart and deep personal conviction that I have decided not to attend the #TwitlerNurembergRally on January 20, 2017.”

—Representative William Lucy Clay: “I will be back home in St. Louis speaking to school kids.”

—Representative Kurt Schrader: “I’m just not a big Clockwork Orangeman fan. I’ve met the guy and never been impressed with him. I’ll do my best to work with him when I think he’s doing the right thing for the country. But he hasn’t proved himself to me at all yet, so I respectfully decline to freeze my ass out there in the cold for this particular ceremony.”

3. 3 bluenred January 14, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Real humans who will also abjure The Monster Mash:

—Representative Jose E. Serrano: “I will not attend the inauguration next week—cannot celebrate the inauguration of a man who has no regard for my constituents. Bronx.”

—Representative Yvette D. Clark: “I will NOT attend the inauguration of Mongo. When you insult John Lewis, you insult America.”

—Representative Ted Lieu: “While I do not dispute that the shitgibbon won the Electoral College, I cannot normalize his behavior or the disparaging and un-American statements he has made. Twitler—who lost the popular vote—has made a series of racist, sexist and bigoted statements. In addition, he has attacked Gold Star parents, veterans such as John McCain and now civil rights icon John Lewis. On January 20, Mongo will be in violation of Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution because of the massive conflicts of interests he has with his global business holdings. That provision of the Constitution was designed to prevent foreign influence over American elected officials. Mellow Yellow can cure this Constitutional defect by divesting his holdings or putting them into a blind trust, but so far has been unwilling to do so. For me, the personal decision not to attend Inauguration is quite simple: Do I stand with The Monster, or do I stand with John Lewis? I am standing with John Lewis.”

—Representative Judy Chu: “After much thought, I have decided to stand with John Lewis and not attend the inauguration.”

4. 4 sally January 15, 2017 at 1:17 pm

There should be many, many more!

• 5 bluenred January 16, 2017 at 11:44 am

More real humans, who will eschew the idjit.

—Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard: “I thought long and hard about attending the Inauguration because I value our democracy and respect the office of the presidency, regardless of party. However, the disparaging remarks the President-elect has made about many groups, including women, Mexicans, and Muslims, are deeply contrary to my values. As a result, I will not be attending the Inauguration.”

—Representative Jerrold Nadler: “The rhetoric and actions of The Monster have been so far beyond the pale—so disturbing and disheartening—and his continued failure to address his conflicts of interest, to adequately divest or even to fully disclose his financial dealings, or to sufficiently separate himself from the ethical misconduct that legal experts on both side of the aisle have identified have been so offensive I cannot in good conscience participate in this honored and revered democratic tradition of the peaceful transfer of power.”

—Representative Adriano Espaillat: “Many have given their lives and dedicated their lives to working to fulfill Dr. King’s dream and make it a reality, and it is up to us to preserve his legacy and the legacy of President Barack Obama to ensure that we do not go back in time! President-elect Twitler is trying to take us back! And the people Mongo is appointing—Steve Bannon, Jeff Sessions—are trying to take us back! That’s why I am not attending the presidential inauguration. Donald Trump and the hate-filled rhetoric that plagued his election simply will continue in his administration. THIS is not Dr. King’s Dream!”

—Representative Pramila Jayapal: “John Lewis stands for best of everything in America. If anyone knows about action not words, it’s him. #ImWithJohn.”

—Representative Marcia L. Fudge: “I will not be attending #Inauguration. I will be at home in Cleveland. #IStandWithJohnLewis.”

—Representative Maxine Waters: “I never ever contemplated attending the inauguration or any activities associated with the shitgibbom. I wouldn’t waste my time.”

—Representative Bonnie Watson Coleman: “I do not intend to attend the inauguration of PE Mongo. Instead, join me for an Interfaith Prayer Vigil.”

—Representative Mark Pocan: “I was planning on attending the Inauguration on Friday out of respect for the office of President, while still making it back home on Saturday to attend the Women’s March in Madison. However, after long consideration based on reading the Classified document on Russian hacking and the Mellow Yellow candidacy on Thursday, the handling of his conflicts of interest, and this weekend’s offensive tweets about a national hero Rep. John Lewis, I am no longer attending the event. At minimum, it’s time for Twitler to start acting like President Twitler, not an immature, undignifed reality star with questionable friends and a Twitter addiction. I hope for better, but will not hold my breath.”

5. 6 bluenred January 17, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Senators who have said they will pay fealty to The Monster.

—Sherrod Brown. Gutless, mewling coward.

—Elizabeth Warren. Gutless, mewling coward.

—Cory Booker. Gutless, mewling coward.

—Bernie Sanders. Gutless, mewling coward.

6. 7 bluenred January 17, 2017 at 7:34 pm

And still more real humans, ordering the Clockwork Orangeman to pound sand.

—Representative John Conyers, Jr.: “My good friend @repjohnlewis has dedicated his life to fighting for freedom & equality in his district & across this nation. Very concerned that Mongo would spend time attacking John Lewis instead of preparing to start his Presidency. Agree with VP Biden that it’s time for Twitler to grow up. Being POTUS is a serious matter—not child’s play. I stand w/ @repjohnlewis.”

—Representative Tony Cárdenas: “My humble and loving parents taught me to live by this saying, ‘Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.’ It means tell me who you hang out with, and I’ll tell you who you are. My wife and I have lived this truth, and we have taught it to our children. This week I’ve been thinking a lot about what my parents, family, and constituents would say about the situation I’m facing. After serious consideration, I have decided that I will not stand with The Monster during his ceremonial inauguration. He has been consistent in his words and actions—he has disrespected countless Americans—women, civil rights leaders, Hispanics, people with disabilities, Muslims, gold star families, African Americans, POWs, and more. I feel this decision best represents my family, constituents, and country. I will join my wife and daughter and thousands of caring, loving people in the Women’s March on Saturday. I will be ready to protect and defend the people who elected me and all Americans.”

—Representative Mike Doyle: “I’m going to #StandWithJohnLewis. I won’t attend the Inauguration on Friday.”

—Representative Anthony G. Brown: “Skipping Inauguration. @RepJohnLewis a civil rights hero. Enormous responsibility to be POTUS. I respect the office, can’t tolerate disrespect.”

—Representative G. K. Butterfield: “After prayerful consideration, I cannot in good conscience attend the inaugural ceremony for President-elect Mongo. Considering the shitgibbon’s brand of division & insult, I believe it would be hurtful to my constituents for me to attend the inauguration. It is my hope that President Twitler will transform his behavior and lead our nation in a positive direction for all Americans.”

—Representative Lloyd Doggett: “We are sending a message to Mellow Yellow. Respect, like Pennsylvania Avenue, is a two-way street. Instead of uniting our country, his continued unprecedented, unpresidential actions are further dividing it. By repeatedly taking the lowest road, he is not showing respect for the highest office. We are in for a long struggle that must strategically utilize every nonviolent opposition tool available.”

—Representative Keith Ellison: “I will not celebrate a man who preaches a politics of division and hate. I won’t be attending The Monster’s inauguration.”

—Representative Joaquin Castro: “Mongo has shown an utter lack of respect for so many Americans. His attack on civil rights hero John Lewis is the latest example. I will not attend this year’s inauguration ceremony.”

—Representative Donald M. Payne, Jr.: “I have the deepest respect for the office of the presidency, something that cannot be said for The Monster. His actions and statements have consistently been below the dignity of the office, and there’s no indication that will change. The shitgibbon will be our president, and I will work with him if my values permit, and if doing so is in the best interest of my constituents and the nation. But I will not celebrate his swearing-in to an office that he has proven unfit to hold.”

—Representative Alma Adams: “For many, the election of Mongo has sparked very real fears and concerns. In November, the shitgibbon promised to bridge the divide to help us find common ground. Unfortunately, that promise has not been honored. Instead, President-elect Twitler has validated our fears with his cabinet picks, tweets and attacks. I cherish our democracy and have a profound respect for the peaceful transition of power. However, I cannot in good faith and consciousness pretend to celebrate the inauguration of someone who has spoken so horribly about women, minorities and the disabled. Instead, I am staying home to continue working toward our priorities and to meet with constituents, many of who are fearful of what lies ahead.”

—Representative Karen Bass: “I’ve decided not to attend the inauguration of President-elect Twitler.”

—Representative Steve Cohen: “Announced @ Mason Temple, #MLK final speech, that I won’t attend #inauguration out of respect for @repjohnlewis & for unpresidential remarks.”

—Representative Don Beyer: “Dr. King spoke of the fierce urgency of now. I wanted to let you know that I am not attending this Friday’s inaugural ceremonies. Yes, I treasure the peaceful transfer of power. Yes, I will respect the constitutional prerogatives of the presidency. But I will not be part of normalizing or legitimizing a man whose election may well have depended on the malicious foreign interference of Russia’s leaders, a person who lies profusely and without apology, who mimics the disabilities of others, who insults anyone who dares disagree with him, who would demonize an entire spiritual tradition, and who has demonstrated again and again a profound disrespect for women. His values and his actions are the antithesis of those I hold dear. It would be the height of hypocrisy for me to pretend to be part of this inaugural celebration.”

—Representative Brendan Boyle: “As I wrote last March, I believe Clockwork Orangeman is a unique threat to the Constitution and to our country. I have never before used such stark terms to describe an American political leader, Democrat or Republican. I do not use these words lightly. But Mongo warrants such dramatic description. I have always believed the Inaugural of the president of the United States should be a nonpolitical day. As just a regular citizen, it is an event I have always looked forward to watching. Regardless of the person taking the oath and the party taking power, I have always looked at it as a day to celebrate American democracy. It is the continuation of that which started with Washington, the peaceful transfer of power in accordance to the wishes of the people. The election of the shitgibbon presents a challenge to my long held view of presidential inaugurations. As much as I cherish this day, can I in good conscience celebrate that which I believe is a grave mistake? Can I sit by mere yards away and applaud the desecration of the most important office in the history of the world? After wrestling with this question for the last two months, I have concluded I cannot participate in this Inaugural celebration.”

—Representative Dwight Evans: “I #StandWithJohnLewis. I will not be attending the inauguration. Russian hacking must be investigated and I do not support the repeal of ACA.”

—Representative Ruben Gallego: “We must stand against Mongo’s bigotries—birther conspiracies, attacks on Gold⭐️ parents & civil rights heroes. I won’t attend inauguration.”

—Representative Al Green: “For some time, I have been hearing from many constituents with varying points of view on the question of whether I will attend the inauguration. My response is Dr. King was right when he indicated: On some issues ‘cowardice asks the question, is it safe? Expediency asks the question, is it politic? Vanity asks the question, is it popular? But, conscience asks the question, is it right? And there comes a time when we must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because it is right.’ I will not attend the inauguration because conscience says it is the right thing to do.”

—Representative Alcee L. Hastings: “I have decided to boycott the Inauguration of President-elect Mongo and remain in my Congressional district in Florida. President-elect Twitler has done little to prove that he is ready to lead this country. Instead, he continues to champion divisiveness. The office of the President is not endowed with unquestioned loyalty, and it is the obligation of each and every American to speak out against injustices however big or small. I cannot play a part in normalizing the countless offensive comments that he has made throughout the past year. It is quite simply wrong for the President-elect to use his position of power to continue to make racist, sexist, and bigoted statements, to demean those who have spent their lifetimes championing civil rights, such as Rep. John Lewis, and to ridicule religious minorities, ethnic minorities, and anyone who looks different. President-elect Clockwork Orangeman continues to denigrate the American intelligence community, jeopardizing the security of the American people, and has clear, undeniable conflicts of interest in violation of Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution, designed to prevent foreign influence over American elected officials. Make no mistake: these behaviors are not, nor can they ever be, considered normal. President-elect Mellow Yellow has made it clear that when given the choice, he stands with Vladimir Putin. I choose to stand with Rep. John Lewis, and every American that expects our President to serve with compassion and humility. If the shitgibbon’s administration continues to champion illegal, unconstitutional, or other ideas that put the safety of the American people at risk, it will find no harsher critic than me.”

—Representative Zoe Lofgren: “I acknowledge the fact that he is the incoming president, but I’m not in the mood to celebrate that fact.”

—Representative Chellie Pingree: “After giving the issue a lot of thought and consideration, I’ve decided not to participate in The Monster’s inaugural ceremonies on January 20. I fully accept the outcome of this presidential election. And, under normal circumstances, I would have no question at all about participating in this important ceremony, whatever party the incoming President was from. But these are not normal circumstances. Throughout the election, Mongo proved it so, making disparaging comments about everyone from women to minorities to the disabled. But what he’s done since the election goes to another level. He’s shown no interest in holding a foreign power accountable for interference in our democracy; he’s put his business interests ahead of the country’s; he’s tweeted threats about people’s civil liberties; and he belittled civil rights hero Representative John Lewis. President-elect Twitler’s actions go beyond any kind of reasonable debate—they threaten the constitutional values our country is based on. I won’t dignify or normalize those threats by standing by at his ceremony. Instead, I think I can better serve my District by performing acts of service here in Maine that day. I will also attend the Women’s March on Washington before returning to Congress to serve the interests of my constituents during the presidency of the shitgibbon.”

—Representative Raul Ruiz: “A real president doesn’t attack the press because they ask tough questions. A real president doesn’t insult and bully celebrities or everyday Americans because they disagree with him. A real president doesn’t use the office to make millions more for his own wealth or his family’s wealth.”

—Representative Jamie B. Raskin: “I cannot risk my presence at his inauguration being interpreted as any kind of endorsement of the normality of our situation. I will not attend the inauguration.”

—Representative Carol Shea-Porter: “Instead of going to the Inauguration, I’ll go to religious services to pray for all of our leaders and people, then will serve my district.”

—Representative Juan Vargas: “I will not be attending the Inauguration. Instead, I will be praying for our country and for our community with the people of my district.”

—Representative Bennie Thompson: “Mongo”s recent insensitive and foolish remarks about civil rights hero John Lewis were far beneath the dignity of the Office of the President.”

—Representative Louise Slaughter: “I take the privilege of serving as a member of Congress seriously, so this was not an easy decision. Congressman John Lewis and I came to Congress at the same time, and he has become like a brother to me. He came to Rochester late last year and visited the convent where nuns from Rochester saved his life on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. For all that he’s stood for all these years, I’m happy to stand with him.”

—Representative Darren Soto: “I am deeply disappointed with Mongo’s attacks against civil rights hero John Lewis and will not be attending the inauguration as a result.”

—Representative John Yarmuth: “For the last ten weeks, President-elect Mongo has continually denigrated the office of the President by using his bully pulpit for insult and ridicule. This is not normal. It is an embarrassment to our country and to the office of the presidency, and we must send the message that this behavior is not acceptable from the leader of our nation. Not attending the Inauguration is one way for me to do that.”

—Representative Jesus H. Christ: “Mongo is anathema. I would no more attend his imongoration than I would worship a golden calf. As it is said, ‘for what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?’ Ain’t gonna be me, babe.”