Finished

“This wilderness has destroy me,” Clam de Paty mumbled. He felt too tired, too sad even to make his English precise. What he had mumbled was the truth: the American wilderness had destroyed him. He did not want to walk across it—not even one more mile. He did not want to write about its mountain men, its savages, its grizzly bears, its le endmountains. He had come to America a famous man, a veteran of the Grande Armee, a man who had won medals; was he not the most famous journalist in the most civilized country in the world? Yet now, thanks to his bosses—always greedy for new information—he was destroyed, broken, finished, ended, afflicted with a numb despair. True, they had found a good spring, had drunk their fill, had bathed many times, had rested. And yet, all around, the wilderness still yawned. Sante Fe was still hundreds of miles away. The nice young Monsieur Charbonneau could talk to him all he wanted about how easy the rest of the trip would be compared to what had already been endured, but young Monsieur Charbonneau was missing one big point: Clam de Paty no longer cared. The wilderness had finished him.

—Larry McMurtry, By Sorrow’s River

11 Responses to “Finished”

1. 1 Miep March 28, 2014 at 3:52 am

Blueness, did you hear about that poor man who got shot down in the hills by the ABQ police? My other friends and I were all very upset. There are people trying to arrest the ABQ police department now. It’s horrible. Firing squads dressed up in police suits.

2. 2 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:02 am

Blueness, he was just up there camping in the hills, because it got to be too much for him. And our delightful asshole culture sent a bunch of dudes up there after him with a trained attack dog and assault rifles.

3. 3 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:03 am

And they murdered him after they escalated the situatuation. After he agreed to surrender.

4. 4 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:04 am

He was just campimg.

5. 6 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:12 am

Fucking shot him down. He turned away. I’ve had friends who were that upset. They fucking shot him down. He could have been a good friend of mine from earlier back in my life. They fucking shot him down . “Firing Squad Dressed Up In Police Costumes.”

Who knows who that man was? He could have been a lover, a painter, an artist. He could have been our best friend.

6. 7 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:13 am

Fucking shot him down.

7. 8 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:19 am

Also, I love you. I love how you hew to non-violence,Blueness. That’s a tough road to travel. You’re a strong person. The more I get to know you, the better I like you.

8. 10 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:24 am

I did draw you. It was odd.

9. 11 Miep March 28, 2014 at 4:24 am