Eddie Harris Is My Name

tryin’ to make it real
compared to what

Philip Seymour Hoffman, the other day, he died.

And all the eager scoured-brain skull-lickers, they are all, now, over all and every tube, telling us just how awfully, awfully Wrong, it was, the way, that he died.

He died, apparently, with a needle in his arm. Shooting heroin.

So. Striving. He was. Yassa yassa massa massa. For: the great wide open.

But why, cry the ur-humans, who these days are the all and every of “the press,” though they are knuckledraggers who have never even once gazed upon the monolith . . . why, would ol’ Phil, why would he knock hisself off, even inadvertently, with the ol’ Big Horse?

They do crocodile-weep, these ur-people: faux-crying what they never would say when he was alive—that he was perhaps the finest, most sensitive actor, of his generation.

And in this, they do answer their own question.

Phil, he was, with the needle in his arm, to try to bring the sweet peak understanding surcease release, to both body and mind, just, just, just:

tryin’ to make it real
compared to what

21 Responses to “Eddie Harris Is My Name”

1. 1 Miep February 19, 2014 at 1:54 am

Good to see you back, Blue.

I snorted smack exactly once, back in my days of cocaine addiction. My thoughts on the matter were that this could be extremely appealing to anyone suffering from a variety of pain, working as it does to neatly erase all such.

2. 2 Miep February 19, 2014 at 2:12 am

Also, thanks for the excellent music.

But mostly..thanks for coming back.

Your voice matters.

3. 7 Miep February 19, 2014 at 2:22 am

Also, I’ve taken to drawing. Have a drawing.

• 9 bluenred February 19, 2014 at 2:53 am

I like that. Legs, and colors, and climbing.

Into the light. ; )

• 10 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:04 am

Thanks! I got inspired years ago when I watched Basquiat. The one with David Bowie.

I thought, one can just mess around like that? No need to be taught, just play with color and shape and draw what’s inside your head?

So finally I bought a bunch of pastel chalk and drawing paper. First I made a lot of scribbles. Then I started making other things. I took to waking up in the afternoon with my sleeves stained with pastel dust, and then I’d go and see what I’d done.

Yay fun! I highly recommend this. I love communicating with words, but there is this whole other way to do it.

I am enlarged.

• 11 bluenred February 19, 2014 at 3:15 am

Yes, well, enlarged is the way to be.

I like what you’re doing with pastels. And so, if it pleases you, I hope you will continue.

What I would like to be, is an oil man. What is amusing is that in Once Upon A Time Days, you could oil if you were poor. No longer. These days, it’s like buying a Ferrari, to secure those paints. But I’ve oiled, a couple times, over the past twenty years. And I understand, at least at the base level, what it’s about. I just have to get some money. Because, where I am, I’ll need to burn through at least $300 or so in oil. Before I can even begin to approach what I am about.

• 12 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:22 am

My mom says oil pastels are really cool, but chalk blends better.

I’m basically practicing here. I’ve worked with acrylic paint in the past, too.

A few weeks back I drew in the shadows of my pecan tree on the side of my house. Cast by the street light.

I might draw more on my house. Since everybody around here considers me mad, why not have at it?

4. 13 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:10 am

I’m starting to draw people, like I’ve written haiku about them.

I wake up with all this color in my head, lately.

It’s really quite wonderful. Getting old sucks, but here is this.

Here is this.

I’ll probably draw you and Alexa sooner or later.

I’ll let you know.

• 14 bluenred February 19, 2014 at 3:18 am

Yes, well, some people are all about downloading humans into machines, so the “old” thing, so it is said, won’t matter.

How are you going to draw Alexa and I? Do you even know what we look like? Also, have you understood yet, that Alexa, and A***, are two different people?

• 15 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:25 am

lol. Of course you’re different people.

But my drawing either of you won’t have much to do with what you look like.

It will be about what I see as beautiful about you.

5. 16 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:36 am

Because you are both gorgeous. And finding it in myself to draw the beauty of those I appreciate is a worthy path to follow.

I’m good with words, but I can expand my expression with color and shape.

That’s neat.

So, not to worry!

6. 17 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:47 am

I’ve already got it in my head, how I could draw you and Alexa.

It’s just so wonderful having these images in my head.

It’s like coming home.

Anyway, not to worry. My muse takes care of me, she doesn’t send me anything nasty about people I like.

And I do like you both.

7. 18 Miep February 19, 2014 at 3:55 am

Also, check this guy out. His posts about wonderful images are terrific.

8. 19 sally February 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Ho, Red – I, too, am glad you are back. I have also missed you –and I also love you. So there. And I checked out MIEP’s photos — feeling a bit like a stalker, but deciding she wouldn’t mind? Don’t either of you go away — lest I get lonely… xoxox Namaste.