For Just One Day

(Alexa posted this on her Never In Our Names blog for Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday in 2009. I think it’s worth reposting every year.)

For Just One Day

by Alexa

“And also in the human rights revolution, if something isn’t done, and done in a hurry, the whole world is doomed.”

—Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “I’ve Been To The Mountaintop.”

For just one day, let there be no progress. Let us not find a new way to convert seemingly worthless pieces of earth into technological slaves that fulfill our every whim. Let us not alter the chemical composition of this substance to turn it into something new, something nature never thought of, that will come back in the fish as a poison lasting millions of years. Let us not bring the fossil fuels up from the ground so that we can burn them, their particles rising into the air to return back to us in rain water. Let us not re-engineer the rice so that we get three crops a year instead of two, but are forever dependent on the manufacturers of the rice seed, because it is a sterile, patented product now. Let us leave Mars to the science fiction writers and give up thoughts of permanent homes on the Moon.

For just one day, let us be something less than what we could be. Let us have something less than what we could have. Let us look at what is possible and say, “no thanks,” in favor of what is preferable. Let the moon be for poets who make meaning out of its reflection on a lake. Let all things be as they are born and enjoyed just for that. And may you too be loved and embraced just as you were born, needing no embellishment or proof of your worth. Let how we treat the least among us reveal a societal identity we are proud to claim, one that leaves each of us feeling safe and secure even as we rest in the pure essence of our being.

For just one day, let us not earn our keep. Let us instead be still and listen to the birds sing in the trees, watch the wind blow in the leaves, feel that same breeze against our skin, and smile at how lucky we are to be living on Earth.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction….The chain reaction of evil—hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars—must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

Today marks the holiday for Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. who dedicated his life to the freedom and dignity of all people, just as they were born. He was slain by an assasin’s bullet, but you still live. There remains a hope that if you dare, if you have the courage and the conviction, you may claim your life as your own and set yourself free.

This is an invitation. Be still and know that you are God, that God is all there is, and that that is good enough.

14 Responses to “For Just One Day”

1. 1 Miep January 23, 2014 at 12:50 am

Reblogged this on There Are So Many Things Wrong With This and commented:
    oh, that’s beautiful. Thank you, both of you.

• 2 bluenred January 23, 2014 at 1:43 am

You’re welcome.

And, with this post, I think we’re pretty much over here.

red, she is done

you say you want a revolution
      well you know
      you better change your mind instead

faretheewell now
      let your life proceed
      by its own design

nothing to tell now
      let the words be yours
      i’m done with mine

you know it’s gonna be
      alright
      it’s gonna be alright
      it’s gonna be alright
      alright

• 3 Alexa February 9, 2014 at 2:10 am

say you want a revolucion
        well you know
        we’d all love to hear your plan

perfect coda to some odd scribblins what popped in mah head years ago.

please reconsider. your voice is the only one worth listening to, not just here, but the DailyKorpse is easy to walk away from. you, on the other hand, are my pusher love-guy. i always want to hear whatever you’re thinking.

2. 5 Miep January 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Very sorry to hear that, if so.

I never can understand how people just suddenly stop blogging. It’s so habit-forming.

But perhaps you have evolved more fulfilling habits for yourself.

If so, you have all my best wishes for their continued furtherance.

3. 6 Miep January 26, 2014 at 12:00 am

Also, I have trouble believing no one else cares about your ending this.

So, if you all just went somewhere else…safe travels.

• 7 bluenred February 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm

It would be wrong to say that “no one” cares.

But this blog gets about 100 hits a day, and usually 80-90 or so arrive here on google searches for pictures.

Simply put, I don’t write, here, what any significant amount of people want to read.

Back in the day, on dKos, when I was, more or less daily, ringing my sword against steel, defending my people from all and foam-mouthed knuckledragging racists every—many, there were, or so they said, who wuvved me.

They seem to have all moved on.

And so, too, should I.

• 8 Miep February 2, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Remember when Toque de Ville was banned? He had thousands of readers.

He started a blog entitled Daily Toque, which got very little attention, and which he eventually gave up on.

I can only imagine how you feel, as you were much more invested in the place than I was. But they do seem to be uneasy about associating with banned users, to a great extent.

Anyway, I hope you find a more rewarding outlet for your talents.

• 9 bluenred February 3, 2014 at 12:33 am

ToqueDeville was a spittle-spewing syphlitic ball-sac. He couldn’t write worth a shit, and existed only to hurl, from his heart full of hate, vomit on black people and Jews. He pioneered the art of spewing deep vile black hatred in comments, then deleting his diary, so the comments would disappear. It is indicative of the complete moral bankruptcy of the faux-Indian Meteor Blades that, when asked who he would bring back from the banned, he chose the black-hearted hater ToqueDeville.

Like everyone who has ever posted to Daily Kos, ToqueDeville is a non-entity. In the histories, he will not exist. He is vapor. He never was.

I got invested there by accident. I just fell into it. Because I loathe racists, and I loathe liars. And that place is alive with them. It would not exist, without them. I pushed up against all the boundaries, while crusading for other folk, on that crusade, but survived.

It was only when I became myself, and inveighed against the serial killers, the boot-strapped bootlicking soldiers of the death industry of the USA—like Markos— that I was booted.

Hoo-rah. Semper fi. Anchors aweigh. Aim high.

As was true on dKos, my writing has always ranged from no one reading it, to everyone reading it. And this has never tracked the quality of what I write.

This blog is a drag on my being, I think now, because it encourages me to flog myself to keep up and comment with whatever the current folly is. And I don’t care. And shouldn’t. Because it doesn’t matter.

All that matters is this:

The information we’re plugged into is the universe itself, and everybody knows that on a cellular level. It’s built in. Just superficial stuff like what happened to you in your lifetime is nothing compared to the container which holds all your information. And there’s a similarity in all our containers. We are all one organism, we are all the universe, we are all doing the same thing. That’s the sort of thing that everybody knows, and I think that it’s only weird little differences that are making it difficult. The thing is that we’re all earthlings. The earthling consciousness is the one that’s really trying to happen at this juncture and so far it’s only a tiny little glint, but it’s already over. The change has already happened, and it’s a matter of swirling out. It has already happened. We’re living after the fact. It’s a postrevolutionary age. The change is over. The rest of it is a cleanup action. Unfortunately it’s very slow. Amazingly slow and amazingly difficult.

That’s what’s going to happen. Already happened. And, in the meantime, all the incessant everyday fixation, on this and that, it is like worms, blind, writhing, crawling in the dust.

• 10 Alexa February 9, 2014 at 2:17 am

wherever is the italicized text, or is that you, blueness? one cannot ask an artist (and you are an artist) to supply on demand. so if this is a drag for you and you’re flogging blue (not molly, haha), then yes, of course, you should do whatever you feel like doing.

but leave a light on, please? someday, you may want to return.

• 11 bluenred February 9, 2014 at 2:57 am

The italicized text is Jerry Garcia. What he saw in the late 1960s, and enunciated, in the quote above, in the early 1970s.

The Truth. All so Already Happened.

And Garcia, he was very excited, originally. Because he thought it was all going to be alright—and in his lifetime.

Then, somewhere in the late-70s, he realized it was not to be. All alright. In his lifetime.

But he still had to live his lifetime. Anyway. Knowing what would be. But that it would not be. Alright. In his lifetime. He would not see it. Live it.

But, in his life, there was cocaine.

And, there was heroin.

And so on.

And so, before he did pass, when he saw it all, and his own life in it, there was this: “Stella Blue.”

4. 12 Miep February 3, 2014 at 2:43 am

Being governed is tiresome. They’re always wanting you to submit to some kind of mindless shit.

Tribes would be preferable. If one had the option to leave.

Cults are a failed attempt to recreate tribes. It’s also possible that tribes are a failed attempt.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately (late, soon and earlier) that I am allergic to anything involving submission. It just seems unnatural.

Unless a mountain lion decided to eat me. Then it would seem appropriate, assuming I didn’t manage to scare her off.

People gotta eat.

5. 13 belföldi hír April 30, 2014 at 9:27 am

hello there! , Everyone loves your crafting quite definitely! ratio we communicate far more around a person’s write-up in America online? I want a specialist in this subject to fix my own difficulty. Possibly that is definitely you! Having a look toward look at you.

• 14 bluenred May 3, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Well I’d sure nuff also like somebody to “fix my own difficulty.”

Since we seemingly, you and I, have a “ratio we communicate,” maybe we can manage that. Towards our mutual benefit.

For when you say “having a look toward look at you,” I know you are of Van Morrison.

Surely we shall, together, enter the great wide open. Naturlich.