Orwell Suffers Unspeakable Torments

(By popular request, another entry in the Orwell is Eeyore series).

Many thanks for letter. I hope the enclosed MS is what you wanted. I infer from what you would no doubt call your handwriting that you were taught script whinyat school; the result is that I can’t read a single word of the manuscript part of your letter, so I may not have followed your instructions exactly.

I am suffering unspeakable torments with my serial, having already been at it four days and being still at the second page. This is because I sat down and wrote what was not a bad first installment, and then upon counting it up found it was 3500 words instead of 2000. Of course this means rewriting it entirely. I don’t think I am cut out for a serial-writer.

Even if my serial doesn’t come to anything, and I don’t expect it to, I intend taking a week or so off next month. My people have asked me to come down and stay with them, and if I can get my sister to drive me over, as I don’t think I can drive her present car, I will come over and see you.

I forwarded a letter this evening which had urgent proofs in it. I hope it gets to you in time, but it had already been to your old address. You ought to let editors and people know that you have changed your address.

—George Orwell, letter to Rayner Heppenstall, September 1935

9 Responses to “Orwell Suffers Unspeakable Torments”

1. 1 nancy a May 20, 2013 at 6:07 am

Poor George has outdone himself with this one.. Just Everything is Wrong.

I shouldn’t laugh at his long litany of Unspeakable Torments, but, you know, I am.. : )

• 2 bluenred May 20, 2013 at 6:20 am

Yeah, he was particularly a whiny-pants in this one.

As you say, absolutely Everything was Wrong. From the guy’s handwriting, to his address, to his sister’s car. He needed to lie down and apply a warm towel to his forehead. Perhaps suck on a pacifier. ; )

• 3 nancy a heitzeg May 20, 2013 at 6:27 am

ha! A warm towel always helps..

i am somewhat sympathetic to the hand-writing complaint, being Wrong in this matter myself..

A student once asked me if taking 3 Nancy Classes would fulfill the University’s Foreign Language Requirement..

Well, No but it should.. : )

• 4 bluenred May 20, 2013 at 6:33 am

The handwriting of one of these lawyers is so bad I tell him he should have been a doctor.

As for that student . . . I see they’re still churning out smart-asses, there in the nation’s universities. ; )

• 5 nancy a May 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Yes ~ never a shortage of those : )

At least the illegibility of the lawman and me have only created confusion..

I’v always wondered how many injuries/deaths are attributable to un-readable MD writing?? : /

Calls for a Science Man Study doesn’t it??

• 6 bluenred May 22, 2013 at 7:37 am

I always figured that pharmacists were required to attend a sort of Code school, where they learned how to decipher doctor scrawls, so as to obviate such deaths and injuries.

Also, I know that, in my case, the pharmacist has always called the doc shop, to obtain phone verification of the scrawl. It is for this reason, I suppose, that I have not yet received some Wrong medication that would have turned me into a werewolf, or a corpse.

2. 7 mieprowan May 22, 2013 at 1:02 am

Not necessarily to be publicized, but okay if you want to blueness. but did any of y’all notice that Markos reinstated that crazed racist ArthurPoet yesterday? He posted a long whiney piece about his being HR’d and about how He Is Not Really A Racist. Brit got in his face and Arthur Racist deleted the diary. I mean, OMFG.

• 8 bluenred May 22, 2013 at 7:23 am

Yes, I saw it. It was an unspeakable torment. : /

It has long been evident that Markos is perfectly comfortable with racists posting to his site. For years he has hosted a coterie of nasty, vicious racists the likes of which I have never encountered in more than 40 years of left activism in the real world. Such people simply are not allowed to soil left causes, down on the ground. In Markos’ intertubes, however, they have made quite the happy home.

ARacistPoet is a nasty, vicious racist who spent months nightriding after Denise. A sample of his pleasantries in this pursuit:

Deoliver47 …
      … posted a diary that “requested grace” but gave none, and as such, was pure hypocrisy, and as such, it pissed upon the Christian ethos of granting forgiveness, which rightly offended certain Christians in here, and when that was pointed out to her, by liberaldemdave, you and your friends abusively deployed HR’s to his comment because you just couldn’t stand to have the truth of her foul egregious spirit exposed. And you throw her name in my face? Fucking please. Get real. Her actions reveal her dishonorable spirit and lack of respect, as does adept2u, and as do you. I apologized on her diary when someone pointed out to me that a word I used they found offensive, and I apologized because I do have respect and I can admit when I am wrong. Can you? Can deoliver? Can adept2u? Fucking apparently not. Now, other than my use of one single word, the one I apologized for, I stand by all that I have said and done. I lived and was raised in the race riots and busing of NYC in the 60s … so what do you know of my life? Stories that were never told, because the gov shut down the media when the National Guard and tanks roamed 2 blocks from my home. Or when I was jumped by 5 black kids when I was 14, because I roamed too close to their neighborhood. What do you know of me or my life? Tell me.

Now of course ARacistPoet was hardly alone in his indefatigable nightriding after Denise, and others among the pitifully few black folks who have had the temerity to post to that site. Liberaldemdave, for instance, referenced above by ARacistPoet, is a nasty, vicious racist perhaps most notorious for first reading Denise right out of the Christian faith, and then nightriding after her for weeks, taunting her in stereotyped black dialect. Markos found this behavior banworthy for, I believe, approximately 48 hours.

But ARacistPoet is, so far as I know, unique in actually crowing and boasting about his personal involvement in the death of a black man and the disfigurement of a Puerto Rican man. It was for this that he was, some years ago, belatedly banned.

That Markos has now seen fit to reinstate such a person—a person who smugly recounted his personal involvement in acts of violencve against people of color, and then had the gall to portray himself as the “victim”—places Markos on the same moral plane as David Duke, and renders his site indistinguishable from Stormfront. I will not be reading there again. Except on those rare anthropological forays when I endeavor to take the temperature of the most poisonous, most murderous, racist sites on the intertubes.