Orwell Contemplates Starting A New Religion

(In which, by popular request, we revive the fabled Orwell series.)

Unless the India Office takes steps to prevent it, I am in all probability going to India for about a year quite swamishortly. It is a frightful bore and I have seldom wanted to do anything less, but I feel that it is an opportunity to see interesting things and that I should afterwards curse myself if I didn’t go. I wish it didn’t come at this moment, because I particularly wanted to vegetate for a few months, look after the garden etc and think about my next novel. I am afraid I don’t just at the moment see how exactly you connect up with the Aryan Path. I always had a vague idea it had to do with theosophy. The only bit of advice I can give is that on a number of occasions when someone suddenly turned the light up the ectoplasm turned out to be butter-muslin. But I have always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion, and we’ll talk it over some time. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

—George Orwell, letter to Jack Common, February 1938

12 Responses to “Orwell Contemplates Starting A New Religion”

1. 1 nancy a May 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Grateful for the return of that Charming Crank : )

You know, wandering about India and tinkering with new religions could be quite lucrative… As we have seen.

But i suppose, it is equally possible that one could be just as likely to end up in a copyright case with the Chiffons..

Now that would really be something for George to complain about : )

• 2 bluenred May 4, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Poor George. The H George, I mean. I always thought that verdict was bull. Sure, there are some similarities. But not near as many as in the 935 bands (and counting) that have completely ripped off the “Bo Diddley beat.”

• 3 nancy a May 5, 2013 at 7:24 am

Agreed..

Not as many nor as ergregious as “ice Ice Baby” and the rip of “Under Pressure” ..

Sorry for conjuring Vanilla Ice over here…:/

Penance —

• 4 bluenred May 5, 2013 at 7:37 am

Have you seen the Prince-shows-off version of that number?

• 5 nancy a May 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

Thanks for that — it is perfect .. The Prince of Icepick : )

Fascinating to watch the faces of the other musicians —

Tom Petty is like “What the hell just happened here??” and Winwood is thinking, “Ok — We’ve just been laid on out by one of those high- heeled boys.. ” : )

• 6 bluenred May 5, 2013 at 9:40 am

Prince do definitely be the sort of high-heeled boy there conjured. When the Traffic people thought they were the ultimate in high-heeled boys.; )

Speaking of Icepick, you may want to check out this post. There may be, mostly inadvertent, Icepick slander there.

; 0

• 7 nancy a May 5, 2013 at 9:20 pm

sure sure “mostly inadvertent”.. : )

i will have you know that Hy-Vee is a fine establishment much beloved in the hinterlands – one which i frequent on every trip to Breezy Hill

yes it is true that one must carefully avoid the locals who are mostly “there [to] obtain large slabs of meat from hugely grinning men in red butcher’s smocks.” :/

But since we are Icepick and not say, Nebraska or even Iowa, there is actually an effort to feature an “organic” section of some sort..

But clearly, they must need better ads : )

• 8 bluenred May 6, 2013 at 11:54 am

I figured there were HyVees in Icepick. What I did not expect was that you would so zealously defend them . ; )

The ad probably would have been better with the sound. Also, I was unnerved by the shotputters and the perpetual-motion hurdlers. And, in recollection, the ghastly Navy.

Do they carry organic icepicks? 😉

2. 9 nancy a May 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm

ha! we coulda used some organic icepicks on May Day..

In parts of the State, anything resembling a May Pole was buried under almost 2 feet of snow :/

Of course, in typical Icepick fashion, those who had shed their winter clothes refused to get dressed again, so shorts and flip-flops in a blizzard were the order of the day..

Damn Vikings ; )

• 10 bluenred May 7, 2013 at 8:16 am

These people with the shorts and flip-flops—don’t their legs turn to icicles, and then crack when they step off the curb onto the street? ; 0

• 11 nancy a May 8, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Kinda OT Kinda Not — i suppose we are already far afield of that Cranky Charmer aren’t we?? : ) — have you seen Chasing Ice yet???

It is a Science Man Masterpiece..