Everything And Nothing

“For me, in that moment, it’s as though time has stopped. All the humors of the body, all the blood and bile and vapors that make a man; it’s as though just at once all of them are working in perfect eyeharmony. Or as though they’ve stopped altogether. I often wonder whether that moment is the same as the moment of birth, or of death. I know that its timing is different for each man or woman. But just then, for that fraction of time, it seems as though all things are possible. You can look across the limitations of your own life, and see that they are really nothing. In that moment when time stops, it is as though you know you could undertake any venture, complete it and come back to yourself, to find the world unchanged, and everything just as you left it a moment before. And it’s as though, knowing that everything is possible, suddenly nothing is necessary.”

—Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

9 Responses to “Everything And Nothing”

1. 1 Miep O'Brien March 4, 2013 at 12:50 am

I’m listening to a cover of “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” on Pandora. Well, yeah.

• 2 bluenred March 4, 2013 at 12:52 am

Who is the coverer?

• 3 Miep O'Brien March 4, 2013 at 1:03 am

Sorry, I missed it. Will do better next time.

The Cowboy Junkies do a nice job with Blue Moon.

• 4 bluenred March 4, 2013 at 1:22 am

Yes. The Junkies Moon is the best.

• 5 Brecht March 4, 2013 at 3:53 am

Mister blue you did it right
            But soon comes mister night creepin’ over
            Now his hand is on your shoulder
            Never mind I’ll remember you this
            I’ll remember you this way

Mister blue sky please tell us why
            You had to hide away for so long
            Where did we go wrong?

Hey there mister blue
            We’re so pleased to be with you
            Look around see what you do
            Ev’rybody smiles at you

• 6 bluenred March 4, 2013 at 4:23 am

When night comes creepin’ over: walk the moonlight mile.

• 7 Brecht March 4, 2013 at 11:18 am

What beautiful lyrics. You win.

They’re very good with ballads. I like ‘Memory Motel’. Once made a 5CD box set of Stones songs. If I had to pick a favorite: ‘Gimme Shelter’.

Here’s a great lyric (brought to mind by ‘Moonlight Mile), from the Heads’ ‘The Listening Wind’:

“The wind in my heart, the wind in my heart,
                The dust in my head, the dust in my head,
                Come drive them away”.

Hope that you’re having a clear blue day.

• 8 Alexa March 4, 2013 at 3:15 pm

hey there, mi amado, Brecht. so good to see you.

• 9 Brecht March 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm

So good to see you too, sweet Alexa.

I’ve been pretty busy, trying to write my new weekly diary. I only noticed last night that my homeland had turned too orange, without a speck of blueness to balance things out. So it’s not a blue monday (which at least you can dance to), but a blueless one.

I hope, except for that one huge rift in reality, that things are well with you.