Shiny Happy People

People are gregarious by necessity. Since the days of the first cave dwellers, humans—hairless, weak, and helpless save for cunning—have fun fun funsurvived by joining together in groups; knowing, as so many other edible creatures have found, that there is protection in numbers. And that knowledge, bred in the bone, is what lies behind mob rule. Because to step outside the group, let alone to stand against it, was for uncounted thousands of years death to the creature who dared it. To stand against a crowd would take something more than ordinary courage; something that went beyond human instinct. And I feared I did not have it, and fearing, was ashamed.

—Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

11 Responses to “Shiny Happy People”

1. 1 possum February 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

The only reason Rethugs remain in their so-named party. “To stand against a crowd would take something more than ordinary courage; something that went beyond human instinct.” How very sad.

2. 2 mieprowan February 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

And if you stand against the crowd and have a visionary kind of way of communicating, as an extra added bonus, they’ll lynch/burn/crucify you.

3. 4 Miep February 21, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Everybody’s talking at you, you can’t see their faces.Only the echos of your mind.

4. 6 Miep February 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm

If it makes you so happy, it’s can’t be that be that bad. If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?

5. 7 mieprowan February 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Also search “the piano has been been drinking.” on youtube. Tom Waits.Great.

6. 9 mieprowan February 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I’m still having a bit of trouble with wordpress but I’ll figure it out eventually. I received 49 views on my post on therearesomanythingswrongwiththis, wherein I kindly suggested that Markos can’t moderate himself out of a paper bag.

I’m sure he’s a very nice guy, but it really is important to find one’s appropriate role in life. I know there are lots of things I’m not good at. I’m effectively blind in some ways.

Meanwhile I’m not reading Daily Kos because it’s just too triggering right now. I have other stuff to do, like plant more spinach, brush my dogs, pray for rain. Also I have been working up a quilt project wherein I acquire neat old quilts that have trouble with damage, so I can work out how to fix them up and resell them for a small profit.

Hell, some people make their living reselling mineral rights. Some people are pimps. I want to be a restoration person, if I can’t be an artist.

Maybe I can be an artist, kinda. I’ve been told I can write.

The quilts are neat. I’ll be photographing them and posting on my flickr account when I get to it. I love their age, the caring and sometimes intricacy of the work.

love!

Miep

7. 11 mieprowan February 23, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Y’know blueness, what has made me so angry about all of this blog stuff over the last several years, is that it is so cruel to intelligent lonely eccentric outliers. We look to the Internet as a way to connect with each other, and then we so frequently wind up in yet another community of people who are afraid of us, once they get to know us some.

It’s so fucked up. We just want to be loved, same as anybody. We can only be what we are. Once you understand some things, you just can’t go back and you can’t just shut up.

So many Daily Kos people are in our age group. Baby boomers. We remember Vietnam. We remember how terribly, terribly wrong that was, and how much damage was done.

It’s so tragic seeing this happen. Yeah, train wreck.

I know people who still blog there, of whom I am fond.

And even the IGTNT people are nice in a lot of ways.

But this train is falling off the cliff, long as they don’t get back to the solid 1960’s sensibility about how war is always wrong, other than true self-defense.

Don’t go.

That’s what we said back then. Don’t Go.

Meteor Blades went to prison for eleven months because he was disinclined to go murder Vietnamese people upon request.

We don’t get along all that well but I will always deeply respect him for that.

Miep