Turn On, Tune In, Lift Off

7 Responses to “Turn On, Tune In, Lift Off”

1. 1 mieprowan July 19, 2012 at 1:33 am

I liked this a lot but I think at least some of the footage is pre-television.

TV ain’t what it used to be, and in fact never was.

• 2 bluenred July 19, 2012 at 1:36 am

TV is what you make of it. Now that it’s tied to the tubes, more can be made of it.

• 3 mieprowan July 19, 2012 at 1:45 am

I must correct myself..TV has been around about as long as Disney.

I’m more of a fan of Jerry Mander’s Four Arguments about how television is inherently a vehicle to turn everything into product, and McLuhan’s statement that the medium is the message. And then there is this business of who owns the airwaves.

However, the Internet is welcome to disrupt Television as much as such folks feel inclined to. It certainly couldn’t make it much worse.

• 4 bluenred July 19, 2012 at 2:00 am

Mander is right (love his book; it’s in a bookcase but ten feet away, as I type): television is inherently Wrong.

But there is no stopping it now.

That battle’s lost.

Unless and until all of civilization, as we know it, comes to collapse.

So the best that can be done, is to draw the best from it.

I spent the past 18 years TV-free.

Of late, a fine siren, who I follow in (nearly) all things, lured me back to it.

With TV hooked these days to the tubes, I find there are more things of value there, than there were when I left it. For all the history of TV, and movies, and for that matter images—and, soon, words—reside there now, potentially, in the TV.

Of course, like any drug, there hovers there, always, the potential for serious abuse.

I shall endeavor, however, to maintain. ; )

• 5 mieprowan July 19, 2012 at 2:18 am

I’d like to see the Internet absorb television. One of the biggest differences between the two is that when you talk back to the Internet, it can hear you. I would think better of the Television if it all had keyboards and comment sections.

Yes, the net is terribly addictive as well, but like early Disney cartoons, it still has a lot of verve that hasn’t been killed off.

Western civilization is going to collapse just like all the other civilizations before it. Some of the older cultures have better staying power, at least until they run into Western civilization.

I think if I lived among saner people in a better culture, I would spend a lot less time messing around on the Internet.

My favorite part of Mander’s book was the part where he discusses the impossibility of getting across the reality of a swamp on the Television – the smells, the pure physicality and ultimately the beauty of it. About how nobody would want to watch it because nothing would appear to be happening.

• 6 bluenred July 19, 2012 at 2:59 am

The reality of a swamp is available in Southern Comfort, a film which may be accessed, via the tubes, on television.

• 7 nancy a heitzeg July 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Be careful now.. : )

and thanks btw, as always, for the creative conglomeration found over here at red…

Stellar..