Moony

Rumor has it there was a very large moon in the sky last night—a so-called “supermoon.”

I cannot speak to the truth of this, because they do not have moons where I live. It has rained here for something like 80 straight days, so all I know for sure about the sky is that there are clouds in it, and that these clouds dump rain—all day, every day; all night, every night—as well as hail, sleet, snow, lightning, and ice pellets.

I remember the moon. And the sun. And the stars. But I have no way of knowing whether they’re still up there.

I once wanted to move to the coast of Oregon, where it rains all the time. Now that I am older and wiser, and so would prefer a tropical clime, Mr. Ha-Ha has decided to move Oregon here. Very funny.

There is a memorable passage in Ken Kesey’s Sometimes A Great Notion wherein an inattentive Oregon homesteader, after a day of work, neglects to slap the lid onto a can of nails. The next morning he finds that all the nails have rusted into uselessness, overnight.

It’s like that here now. Yesterday the young’un cat spent too much time outdoors; when he finally came in, I saw that moss had begun growing on his back. Later, as he warmed himself, a toadstool sprouted from his forehead.

I am trying to complete posts on both Fukushima and Libya, but the mere thought of the effort remaining drains me like congestive heart failure; I am beginning to doubt whether these stories will ever be completed in my lifetime. So instead I’m idling, mooning about missing moons, luluing about feline fungal growth.

Actually, I knew the moon was there, even though I couldn’t see it. Because it was educing in me moon music. Somewhere in the night I was drawn to my fellow Cowboy Junkies, and “Blue Moon Revisited,” and I have been more or less eddying there ever since.

I was somewhat astonished to discover that someone had within mere hours of the event posted to the intertubes a video of last night’s supermoon set to “Blue Moon Revisited.” And I was completely exasperated that the imps and munchkins employed by YouTube had already secured it behind the Maginot Line, even though the thing had been up for less than five hours.

The live version embedded below is anyway superior; the problem with this one, though, is that it is marred in several places by text references, particularly those invoking the Elvi. Well, it is as it always is: we work in the dark; we do what we can. And sometimes it’s so dark, we work without a moon. : /

7 Responses to “Moony”

1. 1 sally March 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

Oh, good morning and thank you for this! I smiled, I laughed. It was good to moon-about for a change. The skies here in sunny California where I live are also crying downpours. No giant moon to be seen. And, of course, you probably should write about the death and dying in Fukishima and Libya. Still, I am overwhelmed by the absurdity and sadness of all of that, so today I liked you missing the moon and studying fungi– because sometimes, as William Wordsy-worth said, THE WORLD IS TOO MUCH WITH US. Namaste.

2. 3 possum March 24, 2011 at 3:50 am

The moon did shine on Possum Valley. People say it was big but my old eyes only saw a bright and beautiful moon in the sky. Always a fine sight.

This morning we have daffodils in full bloom and snow falling like mad. The gods are after us these days.

• 4 bluenred March 24, 2011 at 5:40 am

If the moon looks bright and beautiful, that’s what’s important, my view, whether it’s “super” or not.

The daffodils have been putting on a show here, too, even through the cold rain and snow, the snow, hail, sleet, ice pellets & all the rest. Here is a mushbag daffodil song I found on the tubes; I was looking for the old Limeliters version, but it ain’t there. This is just Some Guy, but he’s feelin’ it, I think.

• 5 possum March 24, 2011 at 7:03 am

Right you are about a full moon. There were times in life when I used a telescope to view the moon. Amazing structure that one. A real wonder to behold.

I am hoping next week to get speakers on my computer at work. Until then I have to postpone viewing your video but I do look forward to that opportunity this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

• 6 bluenred March 24, 2011 at 7:15 am

I have a couple of little external speakers for this computer that are very nice indeed. Cheap, too. I would think this is a work-related expense for you, because you might need to listen to some animal voices. ; )

3. 7 possum March 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

We have the speakers at home. I did not know until yesterday my latest desktop has a sound card. I am far behind the times. 🙂 Hoping to bring the speakers on Monday so I can treat my office mates to your fine presentations.