Firefighters dispatched to a farm in southern Australia on a report of a possible natural-gas leak instead encountered a mammoth sow in the midst of a flatulence frolic.
“She got very excited when two trucks and 15 firies turned up and she squealed and farted and squealed and farted,” said fire chief Peter Harkins.
“I haven’t heard too many pigs fart but I would describe it as very full-on.”
Fifteen firefighters and two trucks responding to a suspected gas leak on a small farm at 10:30 on a Tuesday night may seem a tad excessive . . . except when one considers that Australia does have a tendency to periodically burst into flames and then burn for weeks and weeks. Chief Harkins in fact credited the farm family for contacting authorities: “It’s all bottled gas up here and a leaking cylinder could pose a major fire risk.”
“When we got there, as we drove up the driveway, there was this huge sow, about a [265-pound] sow, and it was very obvious where the gas was coming from,” said  Harkins.
Harkins said the day had been wet, warm, and slightly humid.
“Smells are always exacerbated in those conditions. We got to the property and we could smell a very strong odour in the vicinity.
“It didn’t take us too long to work it out because we could both smell and hear her.”
The pig is apparently a family pet, friendly and docile. But, as the Herald Sun suggested, the animal may require a change in diet. As Harkins told a Melbourne radio station:
Harkins said the owner of the flatulent pig had apologised for calling 15 firefighters to his farm at Axedale, near Bendigo.
“He was a little bit embarrassed to say the least. It took us a little while to compose ourselves, to speak to him,” Harkins said of Tuesday’s incident.
The animal’s humans, protective of their pig, have sent the sow into seclusion, and refused photographers permission to snap shots of their porker. The pigs pictured on this page, then, are only possible suspects.