Sunday Social: Leave Kanye West Alone

(this one writ by our Alexa)

Would you believe in what you believe in if you were the only one who believed it?

—Kanye West

I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t exactly go looking for a fight, but everywhere I am, the war on Kanye West is there first. So here I am to Justify My Thug.

You want to hate on Kanye? Want to talk about the kilt, the Kardashian, the fact that not one but two Presidents have spoken out against him? Go on. Knock yourselves out. I’ll wait and just savor the moment here with my My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Please proceed.

Feel better? Let me just ask you: At the end of the day, are you bringing home what Kanye West does?I didn’t think so.

Can you write poetry like Kanye West:

I ain’t here to argue about his facial feature
Or
 here to convert atheists into believers
I
‘m just trying to say, the way school need teachers
T
he way Kathie Lee needed Regis
Th
at’s the way I need Jesus.

“Jesus Walks”

Post Hurricane Katrina:

George Bush doesn’t care about black people…

They’re saying black families are looting and
white families are just looking for food…
they’re giving the (Army) permission to shoot us.

You wonder why Moms don’t want any Drizzy, Breezy, Whizzy or other names from Snow White and the MC Dwarves? Your momma knows. There is only one Yeezy.

I’ve known my mom since I was zero years old. She is quite dope.
Kanye West, Raising Kanye: Life Lessons from the Mother of a Hip-Hop Superstar

Now I’m gonna need for y’all to leave my boy Kanye alone. Do not make me take this to YouTube, and you know I will.

61 Responses to “Sunday Social: Leave Kanye West Alone”

1. 1 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

there will be consequences.

2. 2 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Will you be posting any Taylor Swift videos? ; )

• 3 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

yo, blue. I’ma let you finish but did you know that Taylor Swift has a framed foto of that incident in her home?

• 4 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Maybe after Kanye has plowed through the various Kardashians, he and Taylor can have a love thang. ; )

• 5 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm

if i had a male child old enough for Taylor Swift, he would never, ever be allowed anywhere near her. she’s an over-rated, obsessive kiss-and-tell-in-a-song, complete and total disgracia.

• 6 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Sean Klannity has a major GOoP-bone for Taylor. He spent a number of days weeping openly on his radio show because she was dating a Kennedy. It was clear what his real concern was. If I had been his long-suffering wife, subjected to this outrageous public yearning, I would have gone Borgia on his dinner-plate.

• 7 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

no love for Klannity, but what does a 24-year-old woman see in a high school junior? last name is Kennedy.

i am in need of a long-suffering wife, if you’re up to it. ;)

• 8 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Don’t you have a husband? And now you want a wife, too? ; )

Sounds kind of biblical. Might require a big tent. ; )

• 9 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 11:39 pm

ha! marriage is a legal fiction, sometimes endorsed by religion. nobody can truthfully swear to love anyone else forever and ever, amen.

yes, i require a wife. everyone should have one. wives are the bomb dot com. i wouldn’t know what to do if somebody ironed my clothes, cleaned my house, raised my childrens, and never-ever cooked foods i don’t like.

• 10 bluenred March 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Well, if you got a wife to do those things, then the wife would need to get somebody to do those things for him/her. And that person in turn would need a wife. And so on. And it would go on forever like that, like a giant mobius strip.

• 11 alexadiaz27 March 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

NEWSFLASH! Not that anyone gives a rat’s ass, but Trumpy loves him some T-Swizzle, too.

• 14 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm

“I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they’re looting. See a white family, it says they’re looking for food.”
      –Kanye West after Katrina.

this is true.

• 16 mieprowan March 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

In which I again fail to understand much of my culture

Thanks, alexa. I’m going to finish off my alcohiol and try to ice fish the rest of my existence.

• 17 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 11:22 pm

can’t speak for mi abejo, but Hurricane Katrina affected me deeply, not just ‘cuz i grew up in New Orleans, but more because i’ve never seen anything like it and hope i never do again. it chilled me to be bone to see people climbing into their attics when the ground floors began flooding. they were doomed, literally doomed.

in the days after, black people were arrested for “looting,” but white folks doing the same (trying to find water, medicine, food) were allowed to do so freely.

within a few days, the Superdome looked like a cargo ship had arrived, overly filled with slaves for the “new world.” people who lived through that saw some horrors they’ll never forget. one of the Sisters Neville was raped and beaten and robbed there. New Orleans has some of the best hospitals in the area, but without power? they too were doomed, as were many of the elderly in nursing homes.

nobody did anything for days upon days. (President Bush II ate birthday cake with then-Senator John McCain, played guitar, golfed.) in those days, people of color had another definition of FEMA: fuck everybody with melanin in America.

eventually, months later, they had the displaced put up in hotels (for short times, while assembling mobile homes with formaldehyde at toxic levels). the people shot trying to cross the Danziger Bridge is a whole ‘nother story.

all these things and more happened, but only one person spoke out in public about then-preznit Bush obviously not caring about black people. back then, Kanye West was a nobody. i honor him for telling the truth.

Bush II had the effrontery to claim Kanye West’s statement was the worst moment of his presidency.

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH:

Yes, I do. He called me a racist.

MATT LAUER:
        Well, what he said, “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH:
        That’s – “he’s a racist.” And I didn’t appreciate it then. I don’t appreciate it now. It’s one thing to say, “I don’t appreciate the way he’s handled his business.” It’s another thing to say, “This man’s a racist.” I resent it, it’s not true, and it was one of the most disgusting moments in my Presidency.

[...]

MATT LAUER:
        I wonder if some people are going to read that, now that you’ve written it, and they might give you some heat for that. And the reason is this–

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH:
        Don’t care.

MATT LAUER:
        Well, here’s the reason. You’re not saying that the worst moment in your Presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You’re saying it was when someone insulted you because of that.

yes, exactly. i’m not going to go into a tirade about the WoT detainees Bush made caged prisiners, but one would think they had it worse than Poor George. i watched it and even tried to drive there with my car loaded up with water and Gator-Ade, and was turned away in Destin by the Guard.

watching a city drown changed me, irreversibly. it’s why i get so fracking annoyed with people who think blogging about an issue is the only action available. sure, by all means, if you can do something, then do it. but i don’t think blogging effects a whole lot of real change.

okay, i’m steppin’ off my soapbox here. apologies for the long comment, Miep.

• 18 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hey there, Ms. Golden Flower: readin’ like a Diary to me.

I tried mine here, and with a sort of dark little coda here.

But I think this is a one that you should write. Thought that a long time.

Just sayin’. ; )

• 20 Miep O'Brien March 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I live for long comments.

I lived in the Ninth Ward for a year in 1995. Lot of angry people, though they were less obvious about it than black people in Los Angeles.

Our entire culture is dependent on slavery of some sort. It’s all going to go. Already happened. Only question is how many it takes down with it.

3. 21 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm

And while we’re on pop culture, can anyone explain to me why Justin Bieber is wandering around wearing a gas mask? Did all his brains leak out his hair?

4. 28 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm

ha! the righteous T-Swizzle says: There’s a Special Place in Hell for Women Who Don’t Help Other Women. mad at Tina Fey. mad at Amy Poehler. this girl is whack.

• 29 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

But I’ve heard this sort of thing from wimmins other than Swifty. That “successful” women are not always helpful in assisting other women to success. True? Or false?

• 30 Brecht March 10, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Yes, this is a live meme right now, and worth bearing in mind. Seems to me that everyone could use some feedback – but a gracious woman mightconsider awhile before dissing any of her sisters in public.

In this case, if you check out the footage from the Golden Globes where Tina Fey made that jab, it was (I think) clearly a small and good-humored joke, which Taylor Swift is over-reacting to. But it’s hard living in the spotlight, and it’s easy to melt there, especially when you haven’t the space to grow yourself up in.

I wish we had no paparazzi, far less celebrity idolization, and consequently no 12-year-olds dreaming of becoming the next Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian. If they want to be the next Swift or Fey or Maddow or Warren, god bless ‘em.

• 31 mieprowan March 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, it’s hard. The pressure to dis your sisters.

• 39 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 11:36 pm

i couldn’t agree more, Brecht, dear one. but i kind of believe if anyone puts his or her private bizness out for public consumption, and especially T-Swizzle with her very embarrassing money-making songs about all her famous exes, she has forfeited the right to be loved unconditionally.

Tina Fey’s little (yes, it was little) comment is precisely what people expect of Tina Fey. no harm was meant. no harm was done. Swifty had better steel herself in the future ‘cuz it’s a sad fact, we don’t all love and adore her.

• 40 Brecht March 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Well, Taylor handles criticism better than George Bush did. I hope she keeps growing up. It is hard to do in public. Hell, I wish Lindsay Lohan would grow up. She was talented once.

Tina Fey is not at all a hater. You can see from her show that she’s harder on herself than anyone else. well, she was hard on Sarah Palin – but, the more you know about Palin, the easier she is to hate.

Have you been watching Rachel Maddow? She and Chris Hayes put more sense and reality into the news than anyone else. Okay, that’s an overstatement – I don’t read everyone, so I can’t know that. Still, thank god for people who tell the truths no one’s talking about.

• 41 alexadiaz27 March 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Lindsay Lohan was talented? I really haven’t seen her in anything in years, except for Headline News.

Tina Fey is awesome, absolutely. I just adore her. I don’t watch much television, but will try to stay awake for Rachel and/or Chris.

with regard to handling criticism, though, i wish they all could be more like Kanye West. it’s the same prepossession Rihanna has, and she’s only 22 or 23. i really admire people who honestly say (and mean every word): “even if it’s a mistake, it’s my mistake. i decided it was more important for me to be happy and true to myself than depressed over somebody i’ll never know who has an opinion.”

• 42 Brecht March 11, 2013 at 3:29 pm

When Lindsay Lohan was 17, she was a talented actress with a very bright future. I’m basing this on the two movies she did that year, ‘Freaky Friday’, where she switches bodies with her mom (Jamie Lee Curtis), and the superior teen comedy, ‘Mean Girls’ (written by Tina Fey). But she’s spent the decade since then pursuing sex, drugs and divahood, and it doesn’t look like she’ll ever go back to making it about the work.

Shakespeare, as he often did, got it right: “This above all, to thine own self be true . . .” And, being Shakespeare, he had the ultimate wisdom spouted by a pompous, prattling fool.

It can be a hard place to get to, this living by your own clear light. But if you can, it does make life much less complicated. I think. I’ll let you know if I ever get there.

• 43 bluenred March 11, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Lohan has parents from Hell. She deserves credit, just from that, for not spending all her time in a jail, morgue, or asylum.

• 44 bluenred March 10, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I think that being Taylor Swift, at this juncture, involves over-reacting to pretty much just about everything. Her skin rubbed raw thin. This the condition of artists. Nutters. Scared people. Pinned in the spotlight.

• 45 Brecht March 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm

We all over-react sometimes. We each have a bit of artist/nutter/scared in us. Well, except me. I’m always 100% rational and 111% right.

This being so, I’ve attached a screed of a comment to Yasuragi’s blueless diary. Someone has to pronounce the ultimate truth – and you’re not around to do it anymore. I’d have done it earlier but (despite my eminent and evident perfections) it’s taken awhile to chew through the miserable issue.

Is there really no workable solution?

• 46 Miep O'Brien March 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

As blueness has pointed out, “You’re Looking At The Heads” was quite similar in tenor to “Ekpyrosis,” and was received favorably. So it’s not really a matter of blueness having gotten more extreme.

He did indeed have people showing up in the comments to his pieces and attacking him. They have some kind of vague policy there that you’re supposed to just suck it up when that happens and hope somebody shows up and defends you, which requires the patience of a saint.

• 47 alexadiaz27 March 11, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Dios mio, Brecht. magis.

• 48 Miep O'Brien March 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Also, with regards to toning things down in order to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of the Tea Party, that amounts to letting the debate be framed by people who think Barack Obama is a socialist. How do you think they’d react to the Palin post at the top of the page?

This is just blueness’s style. The over-the-top element is what makes it so entertaining, it’s a platform for linguistic displays. I don’t know how you tone that down without destroying it.

• 49 bluenred March 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I’ve been getting in trouble for what seems perfectly normal to me for as long as I can remember.

It used to get my poor daughter in trouble, too.

When she was in kindergarten, she wanted to bring in a fuse for show-and-tell. I figured, why not? It caused a huge panic. If that event had occurred post-9/11, I probably would have been imprisoned.

We used to listen to the Grateful Dead together: when she was 3, she started singing, in her grandmother’s bathtub: “half of my life/i spent doin’ time/for some other fucker’s crime.” We thought the woman might have to be hospitalized.

She got in trouble, again at school, for referencing “Colon Bowel”: she truly thought that was Powell’s name, because I had never referred to him by any other moniker.

Wherever we went, we liked to collect little stones: she was lashed to the mast for picking up and pocketing stones at school, because it was assumed she was going to use them as projectiles.

Etc. Etc.

• 50 Miep O'Brien March 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm

This resonates with me. The best imagery I know of for what this feels like is the part in Alice in Wonderland where she’s grown large inside the house and her arms and legs are sticking out the windows and everyone is running screaming away. That’s what living in this culture feels like to me.

What they do to scary people at That Blog reminds me of Gulliver being tied up by the Lilliputians.

• 51 bluenred March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I don’t know that “heinous” is amenable to a solution. ; )

I’ll go see if I can find your comment.

• 52 alexadiaz27 March 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm

wimmen be catfightin’?

with one or two exceptions, i haven’t had much resistance from lady bosses or colleagues. once you prove to them you’re a worker bee, and you will not stop working ’til whatever has been completed on time, and whatever you do is as picky-perfectionist as they get, they’re cool.

5. 53 Miep O'Brien March 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Blue, not to tell you how to run your blog or anything, but you do know you can set Alexa up as a contributor or author so the post directly goes under her name, right?