Walkabout

The busy little bean-counters back there in the wordpress admin panel tell me that I have put up 500 posts on this blog. To become, with this one, 501.

Ye gods.

I realize that some of them have been reprints, reruns, shorties, or simple splashes of music. Still, that seems like a lot of turns round the hamster wheel, in a time span of roughly two years.

I was originally going to post the old folk dirge “500 Miles” to commemorate this moment. And then I thought: no, that’s a gloomy, mournful, wallow-be. And I don’t feel particularly like wallow-being in gloomy and mournful this morn.

So I’m going instead with the “500 Miles” of youngblood Belarusian/Norwegian goofball Alexander Rybak, prodigyal son of classically trained parents in piano (mother Natalia) and violin (father Igor).

Rybak nicked his “500 Miles” from the Scottish identical twins of The Proclaimers. To be expected, as that duo’s 1988 “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” long ago got loose upon the land. It has been used to peddle ale in Canada, wake astronauts on the International Space Station, celebrate the democratization of  television in Spain. It is played amid great jubilation whenever the Scottish national football team scores a goal. And it snuck into that 1993 ode to oddballs Benny & Joon when principal actress Mary Stuart Masterson (Joon) recurrently played it on set, sparking the filmmakers to upload it into the film.

So I see no reason at all why I can’t use the impossibly ebullient Rybak invocation to evoke 500 runs at the wheel.

10 Responses to “Walkabout”

1. 1 Elva June 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

500 Posts!!That is quiet a bit of writing. I have not read all 500, but what I have read have been very interesting and educational. Keep the posts coming.

2. 3 Elva June 12, 2011 at 8:49 am

Just noticed that I spelled the word quite wrong. I spelled it quiet. I am sure you noticed that error and do understand that some of us that are very old forget how to spell.

• 4 bluenred June 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

The writing can be quiet. So either the word quite or quiet works. And what’s this “very old”? Are you like 340 or something? If so, you better watch out for Science Men: they will want to put you in a Study.

3. 5 possum June 13, 2011 at 5:15 am

Hearty congratulations or my sympathy whichever fits best. Milestones are best left by the wayside in my humble opinion. Some are good. Some are not. Whatever passes life goes on day by day.

No matter the number keep up the good work. This is the best blog on the net today in terms of both education and entertainment.

• 6 bluenred June 13, 2011 at 6:57 am

Thank you for that, possum.

It is hard to ignore milestones here on red, when the wordpress admin panel is so jolly in generating numbers. This morning, for example, it tells me that 4 people have already been directed to this blog via entering the search term “seamless pipes- china.” An additional 2 arrived in search of “abandoned romanian.” There is also the usual crew looking for “emma watson in bathroom.”

Over the last 30 days, the wordpress admin panel tells me, 473 people have come here in search of “crabs.” While in the past 7 days, 3 people have arrived for a “spitting cobra frontal shoot,” and 3 for “saving someone.” While 2 each wanted “homo hard,” “brewdog squirrel,” “dancing possum,” “cat missing two back legs,” “deformed baby girl worshiped by villagers,” and “troll science two places at once.” Then there was the soul in search of “shine my sandal slave.”

I hope these people, as well as the person looking for “how to transform your room into a cow room,” found here what they were looking for.

4. 7 possum June 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow! That is interesting stuff. Sounds like someone’s search engines are working a triple overtime shift redirecting people. Those are bizarre terms to find their way to an intellectual place like this. Maybe your titling is titillating enough to stir people’s imaginations.

I look forward to your posting on the cow room. You may or may not know of my affection for large, black and white cows. Holsteins got me into my career in large measures. I continue to collect cow tourist type statues and pictures. Even the cell phone often has a cow for its wallpaper. Weird but keeps me happy. :)

• 8 bluenred June 14, 2011 at 12:16 am

I hadn’t planned on posting about a cow room, but now that I know you’re interested, I will. ; )

Somehow or other some search engine determined that something on this blog related to a seeker’s search query “how to transform you room into a cow room,” and so directed that person here. To which post or posts, I’m not sure.

Sometimes the search-questions are kinda sad. One I remember was something like “please help me Jesus.” Now, that person was suffering, and I don’t think there was anything here I could offer to help them. : /

5. 9 possum June 14, 2011 at 4:14 am

Perhaps the saddest part of the suffering person’s search is the fact they felt obliged to make the search in the first place. How many in our society are so isolated today they have no real person to whom to reach out? How long can we continue to tread the path of internet anonymity and electronic “friendship” without human companionship? The handwriting is on that wall.

• 10 bluenred June 14, 2011 at 7:44 am

The person may have thought that Jesus maintained a website. And if he were around, he probably would. Because of just the reason you mention—all the yearning people.