My Daughter, The Award-Winning Deviant

As I recently noted in this post, my daughter is now hanging out with deviants; specifically, the people at deviantART, a tubes-nest of illustrating and elucubrating young people.

She has posted there her novel, Maiden of Woodland Secrets, the first of a projected seven-part saga. It is a rollicking tale of magic and mystery, featuring a mother who is a raging madwoman, and a father who is a good-hearted but feckless drunk, and thank jeebus the work is in no way autobiographical.

This novel, as I indicated then, can be accessed from my daughter’s deviant page, here. I now note that this page has been updated to include a photograph that indicates my daughter may have become a dominatrix. I reprint: you decide.

Anyway, the deviant people began by giving her feedback on her book, which was nice, and now they have gifted her with an award for that book, which is even nicer. She has been named Featured Author Of The Month.

Further, one of her poems has been selected as Poem Of The Month. That poem can be read here. It features La Musica and Variations in B-Flat, is subsumed in Eros but haunted by Eternal Recurrence, and thus is extremely depressing.

It’s a genetic thing, I guess.

My daughter is also mentioned in this deviant newsletter. A Different One explication of why the deviants believe my daughter to be Good may be found here.

I am glad that these deviant people recognize that my daughter is A Star, for that is indeed what she are.

I, as evidenced by the sentence above, am, unlike my daughter, no poet. And I know it. : /

12 Responses to “My Daughter, The Award-Winning Deviant”

1. 1 possum November 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

It is good to know someone in the family is gaining fame and fortune. Good for Julia. The news is exciting. I keep meaning to return to reading her book. The start was good. When time allows one day the finish is waiting.

• 2 bluenred November 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm

You’re kind to read her book, possum, ‘specially seein’ how the formatting over there could use improvement. Or maybe it’s just me, maybe I have the wrong browser, I dunno . . . .

2. 3 Julia Rain (the daughter) November 23, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I had to look up “elucubrating”. It is now my new favorite word. :)

I’m told that all first novels are autobiographical, at least in some ways. But unlike me, Violet is an orphan. ;)

I most assuredly NOT a dominatrix. :) I’m a goth. The two are not one and the same ;) That particular picture is of my 2006 Halloween costume, where I went as a 40s style character from a music video. One of the groups on deviantART required an “Author’s Photo”, and I chose that one, because I thought I looked pretty in it, and kind of mysterious and fantasy-like. :)

Really, it had Variations in B-Flat in it? Because of the magic?

I think you are a poet. Not all poems rhyme. Sometimes your writing is lyrical, and this makes it poetic.

Yes, the devaintART formatting isn’t the greatest. I had to go through and manually space out all of my paragraphs, which makes it easier to read, but still a little off-looking.

Don’t worry, possum, there’s no hurry. I’m really just tickled pink that you even started reading it. :)

I certainly hope my book gains fame and fortune. That’s why I’m on deviantART – trying to get a following. But I really think that everyone involved in this conversation deserves fame and fortune.

• 4 Julia Rain (the daughter) November 24, 2010 at 12:03 am

I didn’t realize how many smilies I put in that reply. I’m sorry. It’s a tad creepy, isn’t it, all of those faces? Emoticons are a big thing on deviantART, so I think I’m starting to us them more liberally. I just added a bunch here I think because I didn’t want you to think I was offended by the dominatrix comment. I thought it was pretty funny, actually.

On an unrelated note, “smilies” is an accepted word on WordPress, but “elucubrating” is not. Ironically, “WordPress” is also not an accepted word on WordPress…

• 5 bluenred November 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

Smilies are fine. Though you need to have the smiley people run up a dominatrix-smiley for you. ; )

I like that wordpress does not accept itself.

• 6 bluenred November 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

“Elucubrating” is indeed a fun word. Though it’s a word that seems like it would produce a lot of phlegm, when you speak it.

But how do you know that you’re not an orphan? Maybe those people who raised you were Lizard People, not your real parents at all; in fact, they spirited away your real parents, transporting them to the planet Blort, where they are today displayed in a zoo.

Goth, huh. I like gothic architecture . . . which is why Notre-Dame de Paris is one of my favorite novels. You should read it someday. Though be forewarned that although the movies always let Esmeralda get away, that is NOT want is supposed to happen.

Yes, because of the magic.

I don’t know jack about poetry. I hung with some poets when I lived in Sonoma County. They were an eccentric lot; only Andrei Codrescu, who you may have heard on NPR, touched at any point Normal. They were certainly odder than the musicians I later fell in with. Not to mention mere writers and journalists. Sometimes hardcore science people can be similarly out there—remember Dr. PMT, the rat-lab man? Then there are the philosophers. Hoo-boy. My favorite is the local philosophy prof who sometimes comes to class without shoes, because he forgets to put them on. Most days he’s late to his own class, because he has to stop by the admissions office first, as he just can’t remember what room it’s in.

I’ll have to swing by deviant-town and look at your novel again. Sounds like maybe the formatting has improved since the last time I was there.

• 7 Julia Rain (the daughter) March 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Yeah, the middle is kind of phlegm-inducing.

Real parents displayed in a zoo, huh? That’s funny, considering that just a few days ago I was watching this documentary about super-intelligent robots, where these people had made a frighteningly realistic robot who looked and spoke like Philip K. Dick; and who, when asked if robots would one day enslave the human population, replied with something like “Well, if so, I would remember that you’re my friend. You would be spared. I would keep you safe in my human zoo.” So, you know, that was comforting.

Gothic architecture is lovely.

Well, I suppose if artist-folks were too sane, they wouldn’t be as creative as they are. Likewise with scientists; both breeds need to be always thinking of things that do not (yet) exist. That professor sounds like a nice guy.

You know about poetry. You wrote one for me. It’s hanging on the wall.

The deviantville formatting is a bit better. Mostly because I fiddled with it. There’s a constant swell of nagging from the lit community for the deviant admins to institute more writer-friendly formatting options. Maybe it will happen…

• 8 bluenred March 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm

If the robot looked and spoke like Philip K. Dick, he was undoubtedly scary.

What poem? Is it a Dumb one, or is it Real?

The lit people need to harangue the admins until they format the writing so that it can be read. I once submitted a piece to this publication called Beach Culture, which was run by and for designers, who had zero respect for text: they would do things like just cut if off when they felt like it, or put it in fonts too small to read, or bleed dark photos over it so huge chunks disappeared. It was like a writer’s nightmare realized. I submitted my piece after meeting the chief designer at a party & knowing what he would do to the story. Just to tweak me, he hardly screwed with it at all. ; )

• 9 Julia Rain (the daughter) March 4, 2011 at 9:05 pm

It’s not dumb at all. It’s wonderful.

Well, with deviantville, all of the admin and even the owners and founders of the site have accounts. So you can even harass them there, if you wanted to. And there are groups, as well as an entire indexed category, devoted to nothing but ways to improve the site. So as long as the nagging continues, there should soon be Progress.

3. 11 matt December 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

makes me want to drink alchoholic beverages